The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Standard vs. turk's head monkey fists

Here are three monkey fists but two of them started as turk's heads. The brown one is tied using this standard method - 3 times around creates a 1" diameter fist. The red and orange are 3 lead 5 bight turk's heads which also become 1" diameter fists. I used the photos in The Complete Book of Knots and Ropework as a guide to tie these.



I tie the standard monkey fist using a jig (made from a coat hangar) then drop a 9/16" wood ball in the center.




The turk's head I first tie around a hammer handle, then I work the slack out and slide the knot off and tighten it around a 1/2" wood ball.


I get the wood balls from my local Michaels or you can go directly to Lara's Crafts.



No comments:

since 12/17/08